Disease Management (Control / Elimination)
This page includes information on projects designed to evaluate strategies to control and/or eliminate infectious diseases from swine operations under field conditions.
- Linhares et al., 2020 K-State Swine Profitability Conference.
Economic benefit of eliminating Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae
Field studies on best PRRS management practices [breeding herds]
- Trevisan, Johnson, et al, MLV impact in naïve breeding herds. 2019 Leman conference.
- Trevisan et al. Strategic use of information from diagnostic monitoring to mitigate the cost of PRRS. 2019 Annual Carthage Veterinary System Conference.
- Trevisan et al., Use of processing fluid samples for longitudinal monitoring of PRRS virus in herds undergoing virus elimination. Porcine Health Management. 2019. 5:18.
- Trevisan et al., Time to stability in breeding farms operated on a 4 week batch-farrowing system, based on processing fluids monitoring. 2019 Leman conference.
- Rawal et al., Description of production impact of breeding herds exposed to KV vaccine compared to MLV vaccine after PRRS outbreak. 2019 AASV.
- Linhares et al., 2017 Update on PRRS stability studies…and quick updates on PRRS detection and biosecurity. 2017 Iowa Veterinary Medical Association Conference slides.
- Linhares et al. Comparison of time to PRRSv-stability (TTS) and production losses (TTBP and Total loss) between two exposure programs (LVI and MLV) to control PRRSv in sow herds. 2014 Prev Vet Med.
- Linhares et al: economic model on MLV vs LVI, and on the value of prior immunity. 2014 Plos One.
- Linhares et al: TTS and TTBP of outbreaks with 1-7-4 PRRSV. 2015 Leman conference.
Comparison of PRRS vaccination of growing pigs under field conditions
- Moura et al., Controlling PRRS in growing pigs, and dynamics of virus infection. 2019 NA PRRS symposium.
- Moura et al., Comparison of partial vs full PRRS MLV vaccine in growing pigs. Leman 2019.
- Moura et al., Production and economics of vaccinating growing pigs at high pig density twice with PRRS MLV. AASV 2019. Moura et al. Economic and production benefit of 2 PRRS MLV doses compared to a single dose vaccination program on nursery pigs. Leman conference 2018.
- Moura et al. Effect of 2 PRRS MLV doses compared to a single dose vaccination program on growing pig performance. 2018 ISU McKean conference slides.
- Moura et al., Production Benefit of Two PRRS MLV Doses Compared to a Single Dose Vaccination Program on Nursery Pigs. 2018 ISU McKean conference proceedings.
Dynamics of wild type PRRS infection in vaccinated growing pig flows
Effect of whole-herd health & production data on growing pig performance
- Linhares et al. Assessing impact of 1-7-4 on wean to finish pig health. Leman conference 2015.
- Moura et al. Characterizing finishing mortality: effect of whole-herd health and production parameters. 2017 ISU Swine Debate Group.
Field studies with MJ technology (PRRS typing and immunization)
Impact of MLV on breeding herd productivity, and on downstream flow
- Moura et al., Assessment of immediate production impact following attenuated PRRS type 2 virus vaccination in swine breeding herds. Porcine Health Management. 2019 5:13.
- Moura et al., Immediate production impact following PRRSV MLV vaccination on infected breeding herds. Leman Conference 2018.
Emerging diseases investigation: Porcine astrovirus type 3 emerging cause of neurologic disease in swine
- Rawal et al., Epidemiology and pathophysiology of porcine astrovirus type 3. 2019 ISU Graduate and Professional Students Annual Conference.
- Rawal et al., Astrovirus type 3 field epidemiology. AASV 2019.
- Rawal et al., 2018 National Hog Farmer.