Disease Detection (Monitoring and Surveillance Systems)
This section includes information on studies/projects for pathogen (and/or disease) monitoring and surveillance systems.
For macro-epidemiological aspects of pathogen detection and/or disease incidence, follow the links below and please visit the SDRS page.
|Title||Links to materials|
|Swine Disease Reporting System (aggregated data from 4 major VDLs): reporting, and detecting changes in patterns over time, age group, region, specimens, and pathogen sub-type.||> Trevisan et al., Procedures for VDL data standardization. JVDI 2021|
> Trevisan et al. Prediction of seasonal patterns of PRRSv detection in the US. JVDI 2020.
> Trevisan et al. Macroepidemiological aspects of PRRSV detection over time, age group, and sample type. Plos One 2020.
> Linhares et al. Summary SDRS findings. 2019 OASV (Collingwood, Ontario).
> Trevisan. Summary and implication of SDRS results. 2019 McKean conference.
> Trevisan 2019. Aggregating results and summarizing findings from multiple VDLs on a near real-time basis. AAVLD annual meeting. Providence, RI.
> Trevisan 2019. Disease detection at a veterinary diagnostic laboratory based on diagnostician interpretation and diagnostic codes. AAVLD annual meeting. Providence, RI.
> Linhares et al., 2019 Mexico. Macro-epidemiological aspects of major pathogens affecting the US swine industry.
> Trevisan et al., 2019 AASV poster: Cyclic regression models for PRRS, PED, Delta.
> Trevisan et al., 2018 Leman Pre-Conference slides Trevisan et al., 2018 ISU James McKean conference slides.
> Monthly reports available here
> Online dashboards available here.
|Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR:||> Rawal et al., Patterns of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR in cases submitted to the ISU-VDL from 2004-2016 AASV 2018. |
> Rawal et al., Patterns of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR in cases submitted to the ISU-VDL from 2004-2016 JSHAP 2018.
|Ecology of type I PRRSv in Europe||> Torrents et al., 2018 AASV meeting.|
> Torrents et al., PRRSv classification of breeding herds in Spain. Porcine Health Management 2019
> Torrents et al., Effect of PRRSv status on productivity in Spain. Porcine Health Management 2019
|Dynamics of PRRS virus type I and II detection in growing pigs raised in high pig density area in the US.||> Trevisan et al. 2020 AASV: genetic diversity PRRSV RFLP within and between US states during 2007-2019.|
> Moura et al. 2019 ISU McKean Swine Disease Conference.
> Moura et al., Impact of timing of infection (early, mid, late finishing) on mortality. 2019 AASV conference.
> Moura et al., Effect of frequency of wild-type detection and/or viral diversity on wean to finish mortality. 2019 Leman conference.
|Genetic diversity of main PRRS RFLP types in the US swine industry.||> Trevisan et al., Genetic diversity of RFLP types within and between US states. 2019 Leman conference.|
For information on monitoring and surveillance strategies to detect pathogens or diseases:
- General recommendations available in the presentations below:
- Almeida et al., Dynamics of PRRSv detection in suckling pigs. Prev Vet Med 2021.
- Linhares et al., Star Trek & Disease Monitoring. The Pig Farm 5.0 Revolution Web-Conference. July 21, 2021. YouTube link for the presentation.
- Almeida et al., Breeding herd PRRSV surveillance. 2020 McKean Iowa State Swine Disease Conference.
- Lopez et al., Practical aspects of PRRSV detection in processing fluids. Prev Vet Med pre-proof 2020.
- Almeida et al., Sampling with processing fluids and family oral fluids over time: summary of preliminary findings. ISU, Dec 06, 2019.
- Linhares et al. Summary of field-applicable research on PRRS. 2019 OASV (Collingwood, Ontario).
- Almeida et al., Processing fluids and Family oral fluids for PRRSV monitoring in breeding herds undergoing elimination. 2019 McKean Conference.
- Linhares et al., Estrategias de muestreo para el PRRSV en granjas de cría (en español).
- Linhares et al., Overview and applications of population- based monitoring protocols for PRRSv detection in breeding herds
- Trevisan et al., AASV 2019: applications of PF, FOF, OF for disease monitoring and classification.
- Linhares et al., 2019. AASV PRRS Task Force meeting: PF for screening, FOF for confirming… some data and thoughts on pooling FOF samples.
- Linhares et al., 2019 AVIA conference in Canada: Overview and applications of population-based monitoring protocols for PRRSv detection in breeding herds.
- Presentations and guidelines about specific tools/methods:
|Title||Links to materials|
|Oral fluids-based sampling at the slaughter plant|| > Almeida et al. 2016 ISU James McKean conference slides|
> Almeida et al. 2017 NHF
> Almeida et al. 2018 Prev Vet Med: Assessment of abattoir based monitoring of PRRSV using oral fluids. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2018.
> Almeida et al. 2018 AASV annual meeting (Monitoring and Surveillance Systems workshop)
|Processing fluids: series of studies from lab to the field: PRRS / PED / PCV2 |
|> Lopez et al., 2021 Vet Micro paper: Probability of detecting PRRSv in pooled PF samples.|
> Lopez et al. 2020 AASV: Detecting PRRSV antibodies with IDEXX ELISA on PF.
> Trevisan et al. 2020 AASV: Classifying piglet batches to PRRSV, PCV2, and detecting PDCoV, and SVA.
> Lopez et al. 2019 AASV: Dilution effect of PF.
> Lopez et al. 2017 JSHAP paper: PRRS monitoring using PF.
> Lopez et al., 2018 National Hog Farmer: Monitor herds for PRRS using processing-fluids samples.
> Linhares et al., 2018 Leman Conference slides
> Lopez et al., 2018 Leman conference poster
> Lopez et al., 2018 ISU McKean conference: pooling effect
> Trevisan et al. 2018 McKean workshop: PF applications.
> Trevisan, Robbins, et al. 2018 NHF: Processing fluid PCR for PRRSV may help sort for performance.
> Lopez et al. 2018 NHF: Pooling PF may increase probability of PRRS virus detection by qPCR.
|Family oral fluids (FOF) for PRRSv detection in due-to-wean pigs |
|> Almeida et al., Longitudinal sampling with PF and FOF in herds undergoing elimination. Prev Vet Med 2021|
> Almeida et al., Collecting oral fluids and family oral fluids from suckling piglets. Prev Vet Med 2021
> Almeida et al., FOF versus serum for PRRSv detection in due-to-wean litters. Prev Vet Med 2021
> Linhares et al. 2018 Leman Conference: monitoring PRRSV
> Almeida et al. 2018 AASV: Monitoring PRRSV at low prevalence in suckling pigs
> Almeida et al. 2018 McKean Workshop: FOF applications
> Almeida et al. 2018 ISU McKean Conference: summary field studies on FOF
> Almeida et al. Instructions to collect FOF under field conditions
|SPC-based monitoring in breeding herds: Automated, ongoing monitoring of production data |
|> Silva et al. 2017 Prev Vet Med: Monitoring breeding herd production data to detect PRRSV outbreaks|
> Silva et al. 2018 AASV annual meeting: SPC for breeding herds.
> Click here for a link to this project’s website with live data
|Genetic diversity of PRRS virus||> Trevisan et al., Implementing a user-friendly format to analyze PRRSV next-generation sequencing results and associating breeding herd production performance with number of PRRSV strains and recombination events. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases. 2022.|
> Trevisan et al., Genetic diversity over time and space based on RFLP typing. JVDI 2021
> Trevisan et al., Full genome of highly pathogenic PRRSv strain affecting the US swine industry between 2020 and 2021: the 1-4-4 Lineage 1C variant strain.
> Trevisan et al., Breaking down PRRSV next-generation sequencing into a user-friendly format. AASV 2022.