Disease Detection (Monitoring and Surveillance Systems)
This section includes information on studies/projects for pathogen (and/or disease) monitoring and surveillance systems.
For macro-epidemiological aspects of pathogen detection and/or disease incidence, follow the links below and please visit the SDRS page.
|Title||Links to materials|
|Swine Disease Reporting System (aggregated data from 4 major VDLs): reporting, and detecting changes in patterns over time, age group, region, specimens, and pathogen sub-type.||> Trevisan et al., Procedures for VDL data standardization. JVDI 2021|
> Trevisan et al. Prediction of seasonal patterns of PRRSv detection in the US. JVDI 2020.
> Trevisan et al. Macroepidemiological aspects of PRRSV detection over time, age group, and sample type. Plos One 2020.
> Linhares et al. Summary SDRS findings. 2019 OASV (Collingwood, Ontario).
> Trevisan. Summary and implication of SDRS results. 2019 McKean conference.
> Trevisan 2019. Aggregating results and summarizing findings from multiple VDLs on a near real-time basis. AAVLD annual meeting. Providence, RI.
> Trevisan 2019. Disease detection at a veterinary diagnostic laboratory based on diagnostician interpretation and diagnostic codes. AAVLD annual meeting. Providence, RI.
> Linhares et al., 2019 Mexico. Macro-epidemiological aspects of major pathogens affecting the US swine industry.
> Trevisan et al., 2019 AASV poster: Cyclic regression models for PRRS, PED, Delta.
> Trevisan et al., 2018 Leman Pre-Conference slides Trevisan et al., 2018 ISU James McKean conference slides.
> Monthly reports available here
> Online dashboards available here.
|Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR:||> Rawal et al., Patterns of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR in cases submitted to the ISU-VDL from 2004-2016 AASV 2018. |
> Rawal et al., Patterns of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae detection by PCR in cases submitted to the ISU-VDL from 2004-2016 JSHAP 2018.
|Ecology of type I PRRSv in Europe||> Torrents et al., 2018 AASV meeting.|
> Torrents et al., PRRSv classification of breeding herds in Spain. Porcine Health Management 2019
> Torrents et al., Effect of PRRSv status on productivity in Spain. Porcine Health Management 2019
|Dynamics of PRRS virus type I and II detection in growing pigs raised in high pig density area in the US.||> Trevisan et al. 2020 AASV: genetic diversity PRRSV RFLP within and between US states during 2007-2019.|
> Moura et al. 2019 ISU McKean Swine Disease Conference.
> Moura et al., Impact of timing of infection (early, mid, late finishing) on mortality. 2019 AASV conference.
> Moura et al., Effect of frequency of wild-type detection and/or viral diversity on wean to finish mortality. 2019 Leman conference.
|Genetic diversity of main PRRS RFLP types in the US swine industry.||> Trevisan et al., Genetic diversity of RFLP types within and between US states. 2019 Leman conference.|
For information on monitoring and surveillance strategies to detect pathogens or diseases:
- General recommendations available in the presentations below:
- Almeida et al., Dynamics of PRRSv detection in suckling pigs. Prev Vet Med 2021.
- Linhares et al., Star Trek & Disease Monitoring. The Pig Farm 5.0 Revolution Web-Conference. July 21, 2021. YouTube link for the presentation.
- Almeida et al., Breeding herd PRRSV surveillance. 2020 McKean Iowa State Swine Disease Conference.
- Lopez et al., Practical aspects of PRRSV detection in processing fluids. Prev Vet Med pre-proof 2020.
- Almeida et al., Sampling with processing fluids and family oral fluids over time: summary of preliminary findings. ISU, Dec 06, 2019.
- Linhares et al. Summary of field-applicable research on PRRS. 2019 OASV (Collingwood, Ontario).
- Almeida et al., Processing fluids and Family oral fluids for PRRSV monitoring in breeding herds undergoing elimination. 2019 McKean Conference.
- Linhares et al., Estrategias de muestreo para el PRRSV en granjas de cría (en español).
- Linhares et al., Overview and applications of population- based monitoring protocols for PRRSv detection in breeding herds
- Trevisan et al., AASV 2019: applications of PF, FOF, OF for disease monitoring and classification.
- Linhares et al., 2019. AASV PRRS Task Force meeting: PF for screening, FOF for confirming… some data and thoughts on pooling FOF samples.
- Linhares et al., 2019 AVIA conference in Canada: Overview and applications of population-based monitoring protocols for PRRSv detection in breeding herds.
- Presentations and guidelines about specific tools/methods: